The demolition of unsafe buildings in Nairobi will resume on Thursday.
The exercise was halted last year for lack of funds.
Buildings Safety Testing and Quality Assurance acting MD Samuel Charangu on Tuesday said the demolitions will kick off in Huruma and Zimmerman once the department receives funds.
In Huruma, 12 buildings have been marked for demolition.
National Buildings Inspectorate secretary and Chief Government quantity surveyor Moses Nyakiongora said the structures were built on riparian lands and wetlands.
Charangu said the other two “death traps’ are in Zimmerman.
“We have been waiting for the budget to do it. We will begin this Thursday once we get the allocations,” Charangu said.
He said about 40 buildings in Pipeline estate were found unsound and needed fortification.
The developers were given seven days to do the notifications failure to which the government will demolish them.
“It is only when the developers fail to comply with the recommendations the government comes in to demolish,” Charangu said.
He said building inspectors have been deployed to Kariobangi together with Nairobi county officials, where a four-storey building collapsed on Saturday at dawn and left tens of families homeless.
The Inspectorate officers are auditing more buildings in the area to determine their structural fitness.
Those found unsound and unsafe for occupation will also be demolished.